While it is convenient to buy avocados from the local supermarket, you can also start investing in the long-term goal of having free avocados coming from your own backyard by growing an avocado tree straight from the pit.
To get started, remove the seed from the avocado fruit, being careful to remove all the fruit from the pit. Then poke three toothpicks into the pit and suspend the pit over a glass of water so that roots and a stem can start growing over the span of a few weeks.
Once you transfer the seedling into a pot equipped with drainage holes and a proper soil mix, you may want to consider grafting a tree bud from a "producer" tree (an avocado tree that already bears edible fruit) onto the plant. As it is difficult for an avocado tree grown from the pit to produce fruit on its own, this process ensures that your plant will eventually grow into a tree that bears fruit.
Read more below for the rest of the process. Click on image to enlarge.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades